For me this was perhaps the most difficult part of the process, narrowing down the many shots I had taken, edited and printed to just 5 which fit the context together as a series within the brief. I had decided before hand that the final 5 would either be in full colour or black and white rather than a mix of both as I wanted a more coherent structure to the project. After discussion in the class and some changes to my original choices I have decided that my final 5 are as follows.
For this image I used a low angle to make the cross look towering and larger than it actually was because of this I needed to use the flash to balance the cross against the sky as otherwise it would have been a silhouette.
Again as with the previous image I used some flash on this shot to light the front face of the gravestone as it was very dark under the trees where it was sited. I like how this has given it a very sharp appearance and almost made it jump out of the image against the darker background of the other stones.
This statue was bathed in sunlight and looked quite striking, I wanted to give a shallow depth of field to this and went quite close at 55mm and f5.6 to allow this and going wider seemed to give less blur in other shots.
I came across this stone and wasn’t sure if it was supposed to be laying or if it had fallen. the sun was very bright off to the left of the image and gave the effect of it being shining against the shadows of the ground and their darker cast.
Despite being a quite sunny area overall this vine was unfortunately positioned in a slightly shadier area so I had to up my ISO to 200 to allow for my shutter speed of 1/100 to make sure this was as crisp as I wanted it to be. I loved the way the vines spread out with very few leaves it seems almost unnatural how they make these shapes.
So there we have my final 5 images all taken using a mixture of all the techniques I have been learning and practicing over the term I even managed to use some outdoor flash to light some of the more difficult subjects to make sure they were evenly lit against darker areas. I am glad I decided to display the images in black and white as I feel it better represents both the tone and content of the project and subjects, colour didn’t do the shadows and light justice in the images in print so I am happy with that decision. I will definitely be continuing to experiment in all my images in future. I look forward to learning other techniques I can also implement in my next project.